ESSENTIAL OILS, ESSENTIAL LIFE
As drawn as I am to the practices of Yoga & Meditation, so too am I drawn to all things natural and good for both body and mind to help support and enhance my lifestyle. I love simple and uncomplicated and knowing exactly what is in the things I consume, inhale or put on or in my body.
My day to day tries to mirror this philosophy as much as possible. I choose organic produce, use toxic free makeup (if any at all), and recently I threw out all my scented candles, bathroom freshener’s and all the toxic chemical cleaners I had hiding in my cupboards at home.
The reason behind this dramatic change was simple. I had found an incredible range of pure and potent medicinal grade essential oils, and decided that I would start using them on my emotional, mental and physical being as well as in my home to help keep it clean and toxic free.
Being a yogi, and having lived in India for over 3 years during my Yoga studies, I am very familiar with the ancient Indian form of medicine, Ayurveda, which heals ailments through plant and herbal remedies. I have an inherent trust in plants and their healing powers, after all they come from the earth, and for me the earth is innately wise and provides all that we need to survive.
So when I recently came across these gorgeous oils by the incredibly ethical company dōTERRA, it was a no brainer. This was like discovering my own personal Ayurvedic medicine cabinet.
Essential Oils are pure extracts from plants and are 50-70 times more powerful than the herbs themselves. Essential Oils are plants natural defence from disease, predators and weather, so when we use them, we are using the plant’s defence system for our own benefit. Plants produce essential oils to fight threats such as mold, fungus, viruses and bacteria, and because they can penetrate the cell membrane they can eliminate these threats and help you take control of your health naturally, effectively and safely.
You can either steam distill to extract an essential oil or cold press. Most of the plants are steam distilled while all of the citrus oils are cold pressed from the rind. Another great advantage is that all the plants that doTERRA source come from the native country where they originated from.
Source To You
Essential Oils are so powerful because they have the ability to break through the blood brain barrier. Within 22 seconds the molecules can reach the brain, within 2 minutes they can be found in the bloodstream and within 20 minutes they can be found in every single cell in the body. Amazing! So even just smelling the aroma of a pure Essential Oil is the fastest way to shift your mood, focus and/or emotions.
Theresa Molnar, executive director of the Sense of Smell Institute says: ”Scents can have positive effects on mood, stress reduction, sleep enhancement, self-confidence, and physical and cognitive performance,” By becoming more aware of the way specific odors affect you personally, you may be able to enhance your health
However, an Essential Oil is only as effective as its level of purity which means that most essential oils on the market are not able to be ingested because they have synthetics, chemical and fillers. But dōTERRA has create a CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) standard which means that each bottle that arrives to you has been third party tested for their complete purity, which means that what you get is only the plant and nothing but the plant. This means you can take them internally as well as topically and aromatically.
I take so many of the oils internally (Frankincense for brain and cellular health), Lemon (a natural blood alkaliser and cleanser), Grapefruit added to water for a refreshing drink, a drop of Oregano oil in my pasta dishes and Wild Orange oil in my Chocolate Jaffa bliss balls to name but a few!
If what you are reading excites you a little bit (like it does me), then you can head to my webpage and see how you can obtain some of these beautiful and pure oils for yourself to start your own natural, safe and effective medicine cabinet.
Living Well with Essential Oils
Here is a list of some of the top oils that every household should have in their medicine cabinet:
- Add a few drops to your chocolate energy ball recipe to bring them to life! Peppermint makes a delicious addition to all things chocolate.
- Bad Breath? Take a drop of Peppermint essential oil in water and swish and spit. Make a batch for your bathroom and you’ve got yourself a DYI mouthwash.
- Support Healthy Breathing. Dilute a drop of Peppermint oil combined with Fractionated Coconut Oil and place under your nose to support open airways and help you breathe easily.
- Peppermint is a fantastic way to cool down in the summer or soothe a sun burn.
- Diffuse Peppermint and Wild Orange to keep you alert and focused on the task at hand.
- Ease tension or headaches. Apply lavender and peppermint diluted to neck and forehead to ease the pressure. So cooling! I have my premade roller bottle that is always in my purse.
- Try making your own toothpaste by using equal parts of baking soda and Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, add ten drops of peppermint, stir and store in a glass jar, minty fresh and no nasty chemicals.
- Tummy Calmer, take a drop of peppermint oil and dilute with dōTERRA- fractionated coconut oil and rub clockwise on your tummy.
- Soothe an irritated throat, layer Frankincense and Lemon over the throat area or take a drop of Lemon in a small amount of raw honey.
- Diffuse lemon to neutralize odours. You can also use a few drops on cotton balls and place in your fridge, car, in shoes, wherever you want to get rid of nasty smells. A drop in the garbage bin is a great deodoriser.
- When lacking motivation or energy, inhale Lemon. Like all citrus oils, is very uplifting and also promotes positive mood and cognitive ability.
- dōTERRA oils are safe enough to take internally, so you could add a drop of Lemon essential oil anytime you are cooking with lemon juice to give a richer flavour.
- Add a couple drops of Lemon essential oil to your dishwater or to the rinse section of your dishwasher. Lemon is amazing at cutting through grease and grime and will live your glassware sparkling.
- Make an All Purpose Cleaning Spray. In a glass bottle with a spray trigger add a quarter cup of Vinegar and 30 drops of your choice of essential oils, any Citrus oil like Lemon will make a great cleaner (disinfects and deodorizes) You could also add a squirt of the dōTERRA cleaner concentrate, spray and wipe.
- Remove sticky labels with lemon essential oil! Simply add a few drops of the oil to the label, wait a minute or so and it will peel right off.
- Lemon promotes healthy respiratory function; try diffusing two drops Lemon, two drops Peppermint and two drops Lavender for a great seasonal allergy relief blend.
- Wash and clean your produce. A few drops of lemon to water will do the job!
- Place three drops in your sink or bathtub drain and allow the oil to evaporate before turning on the water.
- When you lack energy in the afternoon, diffuse Wild Orange to increase your alertness and lift your mood.
- Make a tea with a few drops of oil in warm water and drink to support the immune system.
- For an invigorating shower, add a few drops of essential oil to a body wash.
- Soak away your days troubles. Mix a cup of Epsom salts, baking soda, and a few drops of Lavender to your bath.
- Soothe sore muscles after a hard work out or a long day on your feet, rub Lavender on your legs and feet.
- For burns apply diluted Lavender oil to the affected area to soothe skin irritation, relieve pain redness and ease swelling.
- Use after shaving to soothe and soften skin and to lessen the redness and burning caused by razor burn.
- One drop of Lavender will help relieve the pain and sensitivity of occasional sore gums, teething, dry or chapped lips, occasional scrapes and abrasions, or after too much sun. Also works great for soothing irritated bug bites!
- Clear the mind and soothe emotions. Apply Lavender to the temples and back of neck to lessen the e!ects of stress and anxious feeling and to promote mental clarity. Or simple just inhale straight from the bottle.